I Dreamed of Fixing Everything

There’s tar at the edge of the new asphalt road;
Cold in winter, soft and sticky in the summer sun
There’s nothing like a paved road/
I guess it takes a gravel, dusty, dirt-filled one to know the difference.

When I walk along my mental tar-edged road,
it’s December: dark, lights bubbling in the window evergreen,
me longing for a way to comprehend
my aching ribcage, frantic bloody cuticles.

Did I eat that other box of cookies, and what will I do for the money?
Dig into the old purse,
the cushions fed by drunken, snoring, singing, whining, biting, sniping parties?
How I dreamed of fixing everything.
I new I could!
(Throat aching, fingers hurting, luminescent cookies in the closet corner.)
I’ll wake up willing, armed and ready: mending broken pieces, gluing back the days of childhood. 
Visiting the slant-roofed farmhouse,
grass high, hollow tree, full of whiskey.
 Dinner at the table with the extra piece of plywood,
how I dreamed of home, carsick, staring at the fading countryside.

Yet what I see now looking back is a gold-brown day,
 the rosy sunset evening
spinning stars
a wooden floor worn down and soft
a drumstick stuffed with bread and sage.

2011112636-cat3DSC_0483.jpg
Southern Colorado, White Farmhouse, from a  Bus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Lara Lee Calloway 1973 -- 2015

Was it Balboa? LaJolla in the 50's