Vanishing

I was at the vanishing point when I met you
No more space between the rails
no more hiding among the driftwood ties

I’d gone too far, I’d paid the pipers far too much
I’ve been at the crossroads hat in hand and left without a trace.
I felt the dry mouth of shriveled yesterdays

Can you tell the shoreline from the shore?
Can you feel the cut cracks in the sidewalk?
Can you taste the iron in the bloody aftermath?

And there you were offering a temporary stay
I held my hand out opened
I let my heart eat the insubstantial nectar, yes!

I clamor back like a ravished cactus
Covered at last with night blossoms
Living inch by borrowed inch

Witch Hazel March 4 2011
Witch Hazel, South of the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Lara Lee Calloway 1973 -- 2015

Was it Balboa? LaJolla in the 50's