Snow Cairn Marks the Way

It's early morning, and I fear that I am finally trapped within this newly wet and treacherous snow.  Lost  for hours amid the drifts and following fresh ski tracks, I am circling round and round the frozen reservoir.  There are no signposts to indicate an exit, and my situation is becoming perilous.  Nary a compass, nor a sextant nor a wet and smeary map have I.  I have no instruments at all save my memories from another time, another season, a warm and happy land free of finger-slicing frost and voracious, freezing snow. 

Where is the turnoff? Must I rotate forever in this deadly hinterland, etching circle after circle in this endless reservoir rim?   Help!  Help! I have lost my way!

Wait!  Is that a shiny, glinting something catching the dim emerging sun?  Is that a hidden beacon made of  tiny coppery orbs?  Did some ancient being take the time to mark the turn-off trail with a friendly frozen  cairn?
snowstorm January 28 028

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Lara Lee Calloway 1973 -- 2015

Was it Balboa? LaJolla in the 50's