A Memory Scape

I had an apple tree with a white painted trunk
And grass as green as the dog could make it
Round patches of it six inches high
We hid eggs in the centre where the yellow was.
It was a late blooming tree with the sweetest apples
Crisp bite, tart smelling, clear sap
Cool tongue, red with life.
How I loved the summer rain
And clothes lines wet with sheets
My chest aches for the dazzle of it
My gut warms with resonance
My throat gasps for the fragrance of it.

It was a hard winter the year they took our apple tree
Ice and whiteout blizzards
Warnings on the radio
Skidding spinning tires
Sliding downhill sideways.

There's  many seasons past by now
Since that harsh winter cut us down
Yet the roots still lay there buried deep.
The other day I came upon a  tucked and folded memory
Clouded now and jumbled but I'm certain that I chanced to see
A newly budded apple tree


DSCN0071
April 2010, North East Reservoir Path


Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Lara Lee Calloway 1973 -- 2015

Was it Balboa? LaJolla in the 50's