Fallen Summer Leaf

I found another leaf, and I refer to my Tree Field Guide for the Metropolitan Area. This probably isn’t a tricky leaf for an experienced leaf-ologist, but I have my guide and I look carefully.

chapter:  Leaves alternately arranged, simple, lobed: Group 13.

I find a similarly shaped leaf. “Alternate, oval or oblong 2 1/2 to 5 inch leaves [check], with 11 or more shallow to deep triangular or oblong lobes [check, 14 lobes, Check, triangular]. Central main vein [check] with secondary veins extending to lobe tips [check!]; lustrous, dark green above, downy below.

Lustrous, Downey, Oh yes. Check!
I have a tiny remnant of a Turkey Oak. Here's a picture. It's of an amber one, since today it is fall.

amber oak leaf cropped

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Lara Lee Calloway 1973 -- 2015

Was it Balboa? LaJolla in the 50's