The Magic Tree

I saw the magic tree again today. It’s by the path about half way up.

I bet you have one-- with the odd shape, or the hollow, or just the apple tree you love or the one over at the other place. The one with the initials, the birch, the aspen that reminds.

The magic tree is hollow down to the ground from head high. Pruners have gotten to it now and then, but it is still heavy to the ground with leaves.

I picked a leaf and gave it to my friend, who was shut in for awhile. I asked the tree first of course. The tree has maple shaped leaves and a lumpy old trunk with two prongs around the hollow. It’s not large for a big tree, but it isn’t a small one either. It’s hard to identify, but it turns yellowish and brown in fall like a maple sycamore.

One year there were mushrooms in the hollow. Large ones, as big as saucers.

I’m careful near the entrance, just in case.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Lara Lee Calloway 1973 -- 2015

Was it Balboa? LaJolla in the 50's