Old Man Winter: Waning and Living in a Tree

It’s a windy day for walks along the river,
It’s a harsh day for new buds.
It’s a day for worms unthawing in the cold ground.
Squish- squash!

I saw my first Spring Robin in the greying snow,
It was a fat one, fat and full of worms, prancing with the sparrows near the
Bush full of wrens.

I caught sight of Thimbleful near his covered bridge.
He still loves Llufelbmith, still struck dumb and caring, callow in his mossy den.
Dry with fall grasses.

Old man winter came in bent over in a grey stubbled tree.
He thinks he'll live forever, mythic in his hooded menace, ignorant of spring.
Never underestimate.

I love a snowy print with blurry edges.
I love a hint of glitter on a card,
I love the smell of summer in the wet muds of spring.
Slush- Slush!

start of class 276

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Lara Lee Calloway 1973 -- 2015

Was it Balboa? LaJolla in the 50's